The Sounds of Advice #1


This is a new feature on the blog -- an advice column run by three of the RRSMS admins: Kate (founder), Sandy (co-founder) and Aisling (Youtuber). 

If you'd like to submit a question you can do so via Google Forms. Or you can suggest a topic for us to talk about via Facebook message or through our e-mail, rockandrollsavedmysoul2014@gmail.com

Our first question: 
What's something you would want to say to someone who is struggling right now? 

Sandy's response: That no matter what you may be going through or how hard it seems, things will always get better. Just hang in there and things will get better.

Aisling's response: I came across a video of a bunch of clips from Robin Williams movies & I don't know if what he says during the whole video is from a movie he did or not but it really resonated with me & I actually have it written down & hung up on my bedroom wall to look at when things are tough.

"You know, as we come to the end of this phase of our life, we find ourselves trying to remember the good times, and trying to forget the bad times, and we find ourselves thinking about the future. We start to worry, thinking, "What am I going to do? Where am I going to be in ten years?" But I say to you, "Hey, look at me!" Please don't worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting. And if you're ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer sky when the stars are strung across the velvety night, and when a shooting star streaks through the blackness, turning night into day, make a wish and think of me. Make your life spectacular. I know I did." 
-Robin Williams

Kate's response: It may not seem like it, but there is always someone out there that cares. They might not say it, because they're afraid or they don't know you're hurting. It's okay to reach out to someone, because sometimes we need that connection or interaction. We all want to feel understood and like our feelings matter or are valid. But even if you don't get that validation from someone else, that doesn't make whatever it is you're going through any less real. Stay strong. I know it's hard, but I believe in you. Yes, you, the person reading this. Even if I don't personally know you, I believe in you and that you can do anything you set your mind to. I'm rooting for you 100%. Don't ever give up. To quote one of my favorite singer/songwriters:


"They threw me a whirlwind
And I spat back the sea
I took a battering but I've got thicker skin and the best people I know looking out for me
So I'm taking the high road
My engines running high and fine
May I always see the road rising up to meet me and my enemies defeated in the mirror behind

I'm trying to get better because I haven't been my best
She took a plain black marker, started writing on my chest
She drew a line across the middle of my broken heart,
And said: "Come on now, let's fix this mess"
We could get better
Because we're not dead yet"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drug Use in High School and College

Mental Health Resources

National Aunt and Uncle Day