The Sounds of Advice #89: Unethical Experiments


What unethical experiment would have the biggest positive impact on society as a whole?

Michaelle: I don't really agree with any of the experiments from the samples you (Kate) referenced. I would be more agreeable if many doctors could give their opinions as to how viable and appropriate the experiments actually could be. I also am for those with capable agreement of experiments for prolonging their life, but without causing more damage or death.

Sid: I've never thought about this.

Kate: It took me a while to come up with an idea for this topic. I had done some googling when I remembered hearing a story on the radio about a human head transplant. They would be putting the head of a man that was paralyzed on the body of a man that was brain dead, but the body still completely intact. If successful, this would have a huge positive impact on society. Paraplegics would be a thing of the past. But...how ethical is it? It's hard to say. I suppose that depends on willing participants, but there in lies the issue. Brain dead patients have no say in the decision, it's left up to their family, especially if they didn't have a living will. Not knowing if they would want this. And I don't think this exactly falls into the organ donation category. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drug Use in High School and College

Mental Health Resources

National Aunt and Uncle Day