Rock & Roll Saved My Soul: The Concert Experience, An Excerpt


Three Days Grace

By Sandy Ashley

My son, ex-husband, my bestie and I planned a few months ahead to see Three Days Grace in Pocatello, Idaho. I was pretty excited because I didn’t have to drive three to five hours to get to the show. For once I wasn’t super early, but I think that had a lot to do with having my son with me.

When he was five I took him to see Owl City in Salt Lake City, Utah. Well, we were there at around one or two o’clock in the afternoon. The show was way later and he was a trooper with all the waiting before and then of course the waiting before the show started after doors opened. I felt pretty bad, so I didn’t want to do that to him again either.

Once we finally got in line it was after five in the evening. We were anywhere from fourth to sixth in line, which I still thought was pretty good. We got shirts and stuff before doors opened. It was much easier than trying to buy stuff after the show. Well, after that JJ and I raced to the car to let him get his shoes because there were about thirty minutes until doors open. He was only wearing flip flops.

Just as we were almost back to the line. A guy I had seen walk back and forth a few times while we waited asked me how many people were in my party. I told him five. My bestie’s boyfriend had gotten a ticket before the show. Well, the guy was like follow me. So, JJ and I followed him and as we went passed Jason, Angelic, and her boyfriend. I told them to come with. They were all like what’s going on. I was like I have no idea. We were all kind of wondering what was going on.

We went through the doors where the show would be. We were told to stand in a straight line. We all did what we were told. The guy started talking as he was handing each person in line a picture. He was saying that it was a meet and greet. I instantly became a fan girl. I was so excited!! JJ was pretty stoked about it too!! So the band came through and signed our picture and then we got to take a picture with them. It was just awesome!!

However, this was just the start of an awesome night. While Devour the Day was playing, the drummer threw a drumstick out into the audience. I jumped up in some Michael Jordan-like jump or something. I’m not sure, but I caught it. If Jason wasn’t behind me I probably would have fell down. It was exciting for me to have done that for JJ.

After Three Days Grace was done, the drummer was throwing out drumsticks. He gave one to the security guard and pointed to JJ. He also got two guitar picks throughout the show. He got loaded up with stuff.

We had such a great time! I’m sure JJ won’t forget it and I know I won’t!! I love concerts and I love making memories with my son. I hope we have many more together!!

Three Days Grace, JJ, Jason and myself

My signed picture from meet and greet

Pick up a copy on Amazon today! And be sure and leave a review there and on Goodreads!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drug Use in High School and College

Mental Health Resources

National Aunt and Uncle Day