The Sounds of Advice #30: Opening Up About Depression



How can we open up about our own depression, so that we don't let these feelings overtake us?

Aisling: Talk to someone you trust. They will listen. Setting aside time to write out what you're feeling in a journal may help also. Also try not to let feelings build up on top of each other. Learn to let your feelings out when you need to. Some time alone and a good cry can help.

Sandy: I know it took me a long time before I was able to be open about my depression. I have come to know what signs to look for that are red flags I need to do something to fix it. First thing though is I have someone I can talk to no matter what. I know they will not judge me for how I feel or why I might even feel that way. They will listen to everything I have to say. I think that is most important, having that person you can always turn to.

Kate: It's different for everyone. Some people have a much harder time opening up to people, especially when it comes to emotions. Emotions are complicated and sometimes we don't always know how to articulate them. Or worse, we fear we won't be taken seriously. People are sometimes all too quick to brush us off or tell us we're making a big deal out of nothing, so we keep our feelings and thoughts to ourselves, when sometimes all we need is that one person to just listen. If you're feeling overwhelmed, talk to someone--anyone. I know it's hard, but reaching out is the first step. You're not alone. There are many people who care about you and want to help you, but you have to reach out. Trust me, I know it's hard. I've been down that road before. If you ever feel like you don't have anyone to talk to, the staff at RRSMS are here for you. Our inbox is always open. Don't hesitate to message/e-mail us. 

Comments

  1. Wow, thats surely awesome to know the reality and I am positive you will also love my article written here how much is a nose job approximately Hope so that you will love to provide me a go-to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Drug Use in High School and College

Mental Health Resources

National Aunt and Uncle Day