Invisible Illness Diary #31 - Unintentional Gluten - Kate Marie Robbins


March 23, 2020: These past few days have not been fun. It's always something with me. Friday work had brought in food for everyone. Most of it wasn't anything I could eat because of my intolerance to gluten. That made me sad. But there were boxes of chips. So at least there was something I could eat. Wrong! By Saturday there was still a box with chips in it, so I grabbed a bag for morning break. I ate them, because I assumed all chips were made from potatoes or corn. Boy was I wrong. I didn't realize it until much later when Mom gave me a bag from the box she had bought at Walmart. I looked at the label at that point. And to my horror, they were made with wheat. And I had eaten one of the bigger ones. 260 calories worth, like the bags you get at Subway. 

Shortly after that my symptoms started to flair up. It started with the beginnings of a migraine. I knew it was coming and that it wasn't going to be good. By the next morning (Sunday), it was a full blown migraine and nausea. Now, as I type this on Monday afternoon, my headache is now down to a dull ache. I'm hoping by tomorrow that I will be back to 100%. Lesson learned! I need to be VERY careful and read any and all labels of things I haven't eaten before or haven't eaten in a very long time. It's frustrating. But definitely not worth eating when it knocks me on my ass for such a long time afterwards. Ugh! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drug Use in High School and College

Mental Health Resources

National Aunt and Uncle Day