Tales from Haunted: My Last Night


My Last Night
By Boyd Miles
From Haunted: Fact or Fiction

I have my rope. I have my note in my pocket. I was ready. All I needed now was to find a good, stout tree limb. It is getting dark and there is a chill in the air. I better hurry or I will be trying to do this in the dark. 

There, that limb might do. Just toss the rope up and over and tie the end around the tree. I don't know many knots, but this one will hold well enough.

What was that noise? There is something moving over there. I back up behind the tree to let whatever it is pass and stumble over a rock. I almost laugh. It is not just a rock, it is a tombstone. I am in some old, abandoned graveyard. The perfect place.

I look around the tree to see if whatever made the noise is still there. It is getting dark enough that I can't see a thing. I listen and hear nothing. Must have been a bird or squirrel.  

Back to the task at hand, my last task. The tombstone will be just right; I can stand on it and jump off into oblivion. I'm sure the owner won't mind.

Another noise, a rustling sort of sound. I stand still and watch. My heart races. Again I almost laugh at the absurdity of it all.  I am about to hang myself and here I am afraid of something in the dark. Still, I don't want to be interrupted by a do gooder or something. I'll just wait a bit. It is getting colder, but soon enough I won't care.

Behind me another noise. I turn slowly, but there is nothing there. At least I can't see anything there. 
To the side, then the other side. All around me are the sounds of footsteps in the leaves, but I can't see anything. I press up against the tree and hope I am not seen. They just keep coming closer. I am truly afraid. I have a copper taste in my mouth and I can hear my heart beating now. My knees are knocking; I didn't even know that was a real thing.

Closer they come, but I still can't see anything. I hear screaming and slowly realize it is me doing the screaming, but I can't stop. Fear takes control of my body. Even over the screaming I can still hear them coming closer. 

I run, a headlong blind panic dash through the woods in the dark. Tree limbs and vines slash my face. I hold my hands up in front of my face and charge on. I trip and fall and hear whatever they are behind me. I scramble up and run on.

I’m out of breath and my heart is pounding. How far did I walk into the woods? I must be near the street by now. It is so dark. I run headlong into a tree and fall down, dazed. I can see the sky the limbs of the leafless trees look like arms and claws reaching for me. I can hear them getting closer. 
I somehow pull myself up and stumble on in the blackness. There, a light ahead. I try to pick up speed and trip over an unseen object. My knee hits a rock and feels like it shatters. I am rolling on the ground holding my knee like a soccer player.  They are coming closer, I can hear them. I pull myself together enough to shamble on toward the light. 

More branches scratch at my face and eyes. I fall and hear more screams, not my own. High pitched screams like children.

“That's not funny asshole,” comes an angry voice. I look up and I see a fresh new hell. A zombie is standing over me. So are Ironman and a football player. They turn away giving glances back at me, herding a group of children in costume further up the sidewalk. I remember what day it is. I hadn't even thought of it, but it is Halloween.

The wind blows dry leaves out of the woods.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drug Use in High School and College

Mental Health Resources

National Aunt and Uncle Day