Tucker, My Rescue Cat


By Michaelle Madrid


Tucker was the name he had been given and that is the name that stayed with him. He was a black and white tuxedo cat with big green eyes. He was six months old when I received him. He had been a cat too many for his previous owner. 

It took about a week before Tucker adjusted to his new home with me. Once he was given full attention, he flourished into a very social cat. He didn't hide when company came over, he would greet each person. Not only was he social, but he played fetch like a dog! This cat was something else! 

After taking Tucker into the vet for a check up, shots, and testing, it was discovered that Tucker had Feline Leukemia. I was told he would not have as long of a life as most healthy cats. I didn't need to do anything special because Tucker would be able to lead a pretty normal life.

For about two years, Tucker did seem like a normal, healthy cat and then I realized he was drinking a lot of water. Then one afternoon, Tucker stole off with a piece of chicken. I took him back to the vet and it was discovered that he was diabetic. The vet advised Tucker would need daily shots of insulin. After the insulin, he was back to himself for the most part. 

Tucker was a part of my life for eight years before the leukemia set in and he was no longer able to hold himself up to walk. It came on fast, but in a sense I was glad he didn't suffer long. I made it to the vet just in time to say one last goodbye to a family member that had helped keep me company during the first part of my adult life. I still remember my tears falling on the sterile tile floor as I pet Tucker for the last time. He rescued me way more than I felt I had ever rescued him. He had rescued my heart from loneliness.




We are looking for stories like this for a new anthology called Second Chance. If you have a story you'd like to share, send it in. Details can be found below.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drug Use in High School and College

Mental Health Resources

National Aunt and Uncle Day