Meet Stevie Conradi


Stevie Conradi (*1978) is a full time Interpreter for the Deaf, but inventing new stories is one of her biggest hobbies. Her characters have been talking to her for several years now, ever since she started working on her first novel, which she hopes to finish in 2015. Also, she and her partner in crime (aka “the” flatmate Mel Skubich) are putting together a Victorian crime novel. She writes in English, and tries to improve her writing by reading various genres.

Several of her short stories have been published in anthologies over the past two years:
Other Voices by Diamant (co-write with Mel Skubich)
The concert experience, Volume II, Fighting Chance (all by Rock and Roll Saved my Soul)
Authors against Bullying II and hopefully III (by Author’s against bullying)

Stevie Conradi currently lives in Berlin, Germany with “the” flatmate during the week and with her longtime fiancĂ© in Wolfsburg, Germany on the weekend.


What is your name and/or pen name?
Stevie Conradi (my real first name is Sabine, but I can't stand how it sounds in English, so Stevie it is)

How long have you been writing? 
Since I was 12 years old. I have to thank my abusive stepfather for it, actually. It was my way out.

What is your favorite book/piece you have written? 
Picking a favourite story would be like picking a favourite child ;)

What are you working on currently? 
My very first novel. A crime fantasy called The Ghost of Myself. It'll include a murderer, vampire suspects, gay lovers and some good ol' coppers and thugs.

Who is your favorite writer/author?
Generally, I love to read whatever I like to read, regardless of the author. Nevertheless, I have some favourite ones: Jay Bell, Val McDermid, C.J.Sansom, Andrea Speed, Edward Rutherfurd, Peter Akroyd, Ben Aaranovich, David Walliams...

What is your favorite book/book series?
I can't simply chose one, sorry...I love the Matthew Shardlake series by C.J. Sansom, Fallen Angels by J.R.Ward, Harry Potter...

What made you decide to be a writer?  And who or what inspires you the most to be a writer?
Like mentioned above, it was my escape from an abuse stepfather. I simply started to imagine episodes of my favourite shows where I was the heroine. After my stepfather died, I stopped writing altogether. Then I met my now flatmate at a Pet Shop Boys concert and mentioned that I used to write. She really got me into it again, and I quickly changed from fanfiction to “normal” fiction. Funnily enough, I write gay characters, though I'm straight...and I hope I won't get stoned for that.

What kind of music do you listen to when you write, if any? Favorite singer/band?
I like instrumental music, something which does flow around me, but doesn't distract me. Like Babylon 5 OST, Pet Shop Boys' Elysium instrumental, Tony Banks Seven album. Sometimes I do like to listen to songs that have inspired me to write a particular scene or story.

What is your favorite genre to write and read?
I love to read crime, fantasy, romance...if it's a good story, I don't really care what the label says. I like to stretch my writing muscles all over the place, but my book will be crime/fantasy.

If you could meet any writer, living or dead, who would it be?
I'd love to go on a London tour with Peter Akroyd. Would love to meet Jay Bell. I've met David Walliams a few years back (he's amazing!), as well as Ken Follet and Anthony Horowitz. If I could go back in time, I'd love to be there when Sir Arthur Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock Holmes – it must've been amazing to see a whole city in mourning over a fictional character.

What do you most want to accomplish as a writer?
First of all, finish one. If people like it, all the better. I'm not thinking further than that yet.

What was it like working with Rock & Roll Saved My Soul?  Would you recommend them to someone else?
They've been absolutely amazing! So loving and caring to me as a novice author. And yes, I am absolutely recommending them! It's also for a good cause!


For more information about Stevie Conradi, please visit:  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drug Use in High School and College

Mental Health Resources

National Aunt and Uncle Day