Meet Andrea L. Staum


Andrea L. Staum is the author of Blood of the Sire Book 1 of the Dragonchild Lore series and contributed to several best selling anthologies. She's a trained motorcycle technician with an Associates in Supervisory Management, is an amateur home renovator, and somehow manages to find time to write. She lives in south central Wisconsin with her husband, three 'unique' cats.


What is your name and/or pen name?
Andrea L. Staum

How long have you been writing? 
Since I was able to hold a pen and put together words. Heck, probably even before then, but I can’t read my infant gibberish. Seriously though, I’ve pursued it more diligently the past four years. I took a break to go back to school and get my Associates.

What is your favorite book/piece you have written? 
That’s not a loaded question of anything… I don’t have a piece that I can pick and say: this is my best/favorite, this encapsulates me because they’re all so different. Each piece I put out there is just a bit better than the last because I’m improving my craft and evolving my voice. I love the pieces I’ve done for charity works like RRSMS because it means I’m using my talents for a cause. I love my fantasy novels (adventure & urban) because they tell the characters’ stories well. That is a really lengthy way of saying: don’t make me choose one.

What are you working on currently? 
Daughters of Kalahtaya Book 2 of Dragonchild Lore (editing process!)

Who is your favorite writer/author?
Anne McCaffrey got me hooked on dragons and fantasy/sci fi

What is your favorite book/book series?
As a teen I was obsessed with Dragonriders of Pern. As an adult it varies, but I really can’t wait for Diamant’s next offering!

What made you decide to be a writer?  And who or what inspires you the most to be a writer?
I have these stories/ideas going through my head that need to get out. They’re entire histories of people that my mind wants to get out and on the page. I am incredibly fortunate to have a strong support system in family and friends that I wouldn’t have made it this far without. 

What kind of music do you listen to when you write, if any? Favorite singer/band?
It really depends on what I’m writing. I use a couple different apps on my phone to play while I’m working, Songza & Slacker, and they have compiled playlists that I can choose my mood, genre, activity, and what not. Not that far off from Pandora really.
Caroline’s Spine is my go to band, but it really depends on mood. If I want old school, it’s Buddy Holly.

What is your favorite genre to write and read?
Fantasy and Science Fiction are my favorites because the possibilities are so endless. Fantasy is my escape.

If you could meet any writer, living or dead, who would it be?
Anne McCaffrey! I got really close once when my sister and I were in Ireland, we found her favorite restaurant. It was closed.

What do you most want to accomplish as a writer?
You’re making me think. Um. To mentor/inspire. I didn’t realize this until I started a Writing Group in my town. I couldn’t find anything like it and wanted somewhere to bounce ideas around and get critiques. I had been a part of a group years ago and never thought it was something I could just do. Well, I did it. There were months that it was just me, but in a weird Fields of Dreams scenario, people came eventually. It’s a safe haven for writer’s to come and get the encouragement they need to get the pen to the page or fingers to keyboard. Strange side effect is that I have my younger cousins asking me for advice and it baffles me that I’ve become a source of information. It also thrills me that they are interested in writing and that I can help them as best I can.

What was it like working with Rock & Roll Saved My Soul?  Would you recommend them to someone else?
It was wonderful and I appreciate being a part of it. I would definitely recommend it.


For more information about Andrea L. Staum, please visit:  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drug Use in High School and College

Mental Health Resources

National Aunt and Uncle Day